Every year, Sunrise Community Link responds to more than 10‚000 phone calls and visits from people who are experiencing poverty or crisis and assists them by directly providing, or successfully referring them to other agencies for, food‚ clothing‚ furniture‚ housing‚ counseling‚ support, and advocacy.
Although rich in its diversity, the areas we serve include some of the most economically challenged neighborhoods in Calgary. Many of our clients confront the realities of poverty on a daily basis, from being unable to make their rent payment, to something as basic as struggling to put food on the table for their families. Sunrise works with individuals and families to provide assistance with basic needs, referrals, and facilitate appointments for more in-depth problem-solving and systems navigation.
We've changed the way we are collecting stats in order to better understand the types of needs that our clients are faced with. With the assistance of the Community Advocates, the following Basic Needs Referrals were made for the 2016-2017 year.
· Emergency food hamper 2,369
· Food Bank 1,125
· Advocacy related issues 189
· Women In Need 288
· Seasonal Referrals 218
· Sleep Country 127
· Employment Referrals 54
· Housing Referrals 112
· Health Related Referrals 89
Our efforts truly make a difference in the lives of the individuals and families we help.
We know we have been successful when our clients say things like:
· “We have gotten new beds and a warm place to live along with new furniture; A new start.”
· “… immediate needs for food were met promptly and professionally – staff are first rate!”
· “Sunrise helped find different services to help with my children’s mental health and find programs to help with counseling.”
· “The programs help me do better for myself and family.”
· “I was able to get referrals to other services I didn’t know about Thank you very much!”
Here are some additional highlights from the 2016-2017 year:
· We had 11,451 in-person visits at our Centre during the year, an increase of 47% over the previous year! That means on average per month, over 954 individuals walk through the doors of Sunrise Community Link for services and support!
· Sunrise Community Link served a total of 1,603 new and unique clients during the 2016-2017 year, a 26% increase from the previous year. We also supported 1,776 existing clients through this year.
· 366 individuals accessed the computer, phone, printing or faxing support while at the Centre.
See our annual report for measurements of the success of our programs.